Healthy Eats: Fresh shrimp pasta salad
Spruce up boring pasta salad with this quick cook dish. You can eat it right away or let it sit overnight to let the flavors bloom. Oftentimes, I will make enough for the week or make it ahead of time for a family picnic. A quick note: You can change this recipe up by exchanging cherry tomatoes for sun dried tomatoes.
- 8-10 cooked shrimp
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano or two fresh sprigs
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 4-6 tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked macaroni/elbows
- 2 radishes
- ½ sweet pepper
- Feta to taste
- Cracked pepper to taste
1. Whisk together in a small bowl: Olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic powder, and oregano. Place the cooked shrimp in the bowl and then set to the side. Hint: Forks makes a good whisk in a pinch.
2. Dice tomatoes, radishes, and peppers and place them in a medium bowl along with the cooked pasta. Dice the olives if not already halved and add to medium bowl. Add the shrimp to the bowl.
3. Pour the olive oil and vinegar mixture over the pasta, shrimp and vegetables, combining evenly. Toss gently before eating as some will have settled at the bottom. Enjoy!
Side note: If you want a heavier texture, add a pinch of sugar in the olive oil mixture. Don’t add more than 1/2 tsp, though.
Tip: Extra shrimp can be used in a spring roll for a different lunch.
Jillian Campbell Scheibe CHC, is the owner of Health Rebel and nutrition enthusiast. She is committed to developing ways for her readers to maintain their lifestyle without sacrificing their health. You can follow her on twitter at: @health_rebel