Healthy Eats: Cauliflower ‘buffalo wings’ a twist on an American favorite
If you do try these, share your finished “wings” on Instagram with your favorite dip. The recipe is super-simple. Feel free to substitute the whole wheat flour with all-purpose white or almond flour, depending on your dietary needs.
• 1 head of cauliflower
• ½ cup almond milk (though, any milk will do)
• ½ cup water
• ¾ cup whole Wheat Flour
• ¾ cup of your favorite hot sauce/buffalo sauce (it needs to have a smooth texture)
• 1 TBSP melted butter
• 2 tsp garlic powder
• 2 tsp cumin
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Rinse and cut cauliflower into bite size pieces.
3. Combine flour, milk, spices, and water in a gallon size bag. Use more water to thin if you desire.
4. Add the cauliflower in the mixture, shake, and then place on a lined baking sheet. Place in oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
5. While baking, melt the butter with hot sauce in a saucepan. Bring to a little simmer then remove from heat. Once the cauliflower is done baking, add to the saucepan.
6. Place the florets a second time in the oven for 10 minutes. And that’s it, you’re done: A healthy version of an American favorite.
Jillian Campbell Scheibe, CHC, is a nutrition enthusiast and the owner of Health Rebel. She seeks to help people develop ways to incorporate healthy habits into their lives, without resigning to a one-size-fits-all regimen. At Being808, she shares recipes that are packed with nutrition and taste, and blogs about small things you can do to live a healthier lifestyle. Follow her on Twitter @health_rebel.