Celebrate summer with light, sweet carrot-zucchini bread
Zucchini is a summertime favorite. Chock full of vitamins and nutrients, the versatile squash can be enjoyed cooked or raw, on its own or as part of a savory dish.
But did you know that zucchini can also play a starring role in something sweet?
Don’t let summer go by without trying my carrot-zucchini bread. The recipe is light, and perfect for breakfast or a snack. It can also be dressed up for dessert.
In this bread, I use applesauce in place of oil and butter. Believe me, you won’t miss them.
I also added shredded coconut for a little touch of paradise. Enjoy!
• 1 medium zucchini
• 1 medium carrot
• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 tablespoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 large eggs
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• shredded coconut, optional
1. Heat the oven to 350°F.
2. Cut the ends of the zucchini and carrot off and shred the veggies on a box grater into a bowl. Set the bowl aside.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugars, applesauce and vanilla extract.
5. Add the zucchini and carrot into the flour mixture, then add in the liquid mixture. Gently stir and fold batter until mixed well.
6. Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with shredded coconut, if desired.
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and bread is golden brown. Let bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.
Kelly Sloan is in the dietetics program at the University of Hawaii-Manoa, is a staff writer for UH-M’s student newspaper Ka Leo o Hawaii and interns for several nutrition and media specialists. She also works at the Kapiolani farmers market and as a deli cook at a local health food store. Sloan enjoys cooking and developing new recipes that are easy to prepare, delicious and healthy. Find her on Twitter @ksloan6 or on Facebook.