Healthy Eats: Say quesadilla! And then eat these before they cool
Let’s face it: Quesadillas are little slices of heaven. But the versions you get at your favorite eatery are very high in fat, and not a great source of fiber. That’s not the case with this recipe, which combines chicken, spinach and oh-so-cheesy goodness with whole wheat tortillas to create a health-ified quesadilla. Whip these quesadillas up for the weekend game, or for a healthy weekday dinner.
Ingredients (makes one):
• 1 (8-inch) whole wheat tortilla
• 2 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
• 2 ounces of cooked chicken thigh meat
• ¼ cup frozen spinach, cooked and drained
• ¼ cup salsa
1. Sprinkle one ounce (or half the cheese) in a 10-inch, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place tortilla on top and let sit for 30 seconds.
2. Sprinkle the rest of cheese, chicken and spinach evenly over tortilla. Allow to cook until you can see that the cheese at the bottom (on the skillet) has adhered to the tortilla and is beginning to brown.
3. Fold the quesadilla in half and let cook for another minute or so always checking that the cheese on the outside is not getting too brown.
4. Slide out of pan onto board and cut into four.
5. Serve hot with salsa and enjoy.
Kelly Sloan is in the dietetics program at the University of Hawaii-Manoa, is a staff writer for UH-M’s student newspaper Ka Leo o Hawaii and interns for several nutrition and media specialists. She also works at the Kapiolani farmers market and as a deli cook at a local health food store. Sloan enjoys cooking and developing new recipes that are easy to prepare, delicious and healthy. Find her on Twitter @ksloan6 or on Facebook.